As a worship leader, there have been times on a stage as I've been leading where a saw a thousand hands raised in adoration of the Lord, and I've just felt so alive that I could explode. There's something about seeing God's people seeing Him more for who He is and not being able to do anything but sing at the top of their lungs.... it just really floats my boat. My name, Micah, means, "there is no one like Yahweh." And truly, the Lord knew what He was doing when I was named because in the past, when I have led worship and seen people expirience the Lord's power, or His goodness, or His beauty, and their hearts are moved to worship Him and HIM alone, I feel like I've died and gone to heaven. It's my heartbeat. I get all weepy at the thought.
Most times though, these days, life is just....not so glamorous. The day-to-day... waking up early to a small needy person, who needs me all day long.... the pile of dishes, the stack of papers and urgent phone calls that still haven't been made for work, the long to-do list that still has tasks from weeks ago that haven't been done.... the pain that comes with so passionately loving people and even being loved but feeling the disappointment that life isn't quite as fulfilling as it could have been or should have been or could be... well, let's just say it requires a deeper place of worship.
I was talking with the other staff members here at the Chattanooga House of Prayer at some point last year and mumbled out the words "my worship is just so unanointed." Duke, the Director, took the thought and ran with it. And I think it's hilarious. Because to me, I look back on the past few years and have really vivid memories of being at absolutely the end of myself and drowning in monotony and heartache, and hearing the Lord's whisper to my heart, "worship me"... in the midst of it. In the middle of doing dishes. In the middle of midnight feedings with my baby girl. In the middle of crisis. And although it's all messy and it's all so...HUMAN... it's precious to the Lord. He delights in the communion, intimacy and friendship that is shared when we lift the eyes of our hearts to Him, in the midst of all those things... no matter how "unanointed" it feels. It digs deep wells in our hearts, where, through the extra effort of digging out a place of adoration and thanksgiving even when nothing feels right, the Lord is able to allow His healing waters, His lifegiving fountain, to overflow and lift us to higher places of His goodness and His presence.
So... no matter the season, whether the moment brings fulfillments of dreams and passions, or the moment is mundane...or the moment is horrible.... The table of communion with the Lord, is always spread...there's always a seat. And I'm so delighted to sit there. :)
Great word, Micah! You've kinda described my life too. Thanks for sharing this and encouraging.
ReplyDelete